Writer: Jimmy Coverdale
Date:Monday June 22 2009
Steve Bruce is hoping that his first signings as Sunderland boss are not too far away.
Speaking to the club`s official website, Bruce stated: 'I would hope to have some new faces in by the time of the opening friendly [against Darlington on July 16th], or at least by the time we go to the Amsterdam Tournament.
'I'm on the phone all of the time and am in constant touch with chairman Niall Quinn and chief executive Steve Walton.
'Hopefully we will have some new faces around at the start, and that would be terrific.'
On that note, it`s time to have a look at the transfer rumours from the past couple of days.
• Earlier today, we reported that England under-21 international Frazier Campbell has been linked with a move to the club. Hull City are also hoping to sign the Manchester United striker.
• Earlier this summer Steve Bruce spoke about having the opportunity to shop in Harrods instead of Tesco. Well, the News of the World reported yesterday that Bruce has been looking in Netto. Former Newcastle striker Lomana Lua Lua could be set for a move to the Stadium of Light after spending the last year playing for Qatar side Al-Arabi.
• Peter Crouch has again been linked with a move to the club. However, with Kenwyne Jones already in the fold, a move for Frazier Campbell seems more likely.
• Anton Ferdinand has dismissed rumours of a return to London with Fulham. Rio`s little brother told reporters: "I'm not sure about interest from other clubs, but that is the last thing on my mind,
"I signed for Sunderland on a four-year deal and it wouldn't be fair to stay one year and then leave.
"I'm enjoying it up there - I look forward to working with Steve Bruce and the players I had round me last year.
"We had a good team spirit last year. It will be sad to see people leave if that happens, but if the manager brings in better players then I am not going to complain.
"Football is about bettering yourself and playing with the best players."
• Mick McCarthy has been linked with another one of his former players. McCarthy has taken a number of ex-Sunderland players to Wolves and he looks set to continue this trend by signing Dean Whitehead. McCarthy will have to pay up to £3m to take the Black Cats skipper to the midlands.
• Sunderland have again been linked with a move for Newcastle midfielder Alan Smith, as well as teammate Kevin Nolan. Both players have been linked with a number of clubs this summer since the Toon`s relegation.
Here at Vital Sunderland, we will be keep a track of all the players linked with moves to and from Sunderland throughout the summer.
Players linked with moves to the club:
Lucas Biglia, Anderlecht (Midfielder)
James McCarthy, Hamilton (Midfielder)
Nedad Milijas, Red Star Belgrade (Midfielder)
Jermaine Beckford, Leeds (Striker)
Siaka Tiene, Valenciennes (Midfielder)
Peter Crouch, Portsmouth (Striker)
Darren Bent, Tottenham (Striker)
Lee Cattermole, Wigan (Midfielder)
Titus Bramble, Wigan (Defender)
Nikola Zigic, Valencia (Striker)
Lucas Neill, West Ham (Defender)
Sebastein Bassong, Newcastle (Defender)
Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Rosenborg (Midfielder)
Steven Davis, Rangers (Midfielder)
Radoslav Kovac, Spartak Moscow (Midfielder)
Antonio Valencia, Wigan (Winger)
Chris Kirkland, Wigan (Goalkeeper)
Alan Smith, Newcastle (Midfielder)
Stewart Downing, Middlesbrough (Winger)
Robbie Keane, Tottenham (Striker)
Richard Dunne, Manchester City (Defender)
Callum Davenport, West Ham (Defender)
Marco Marchionni, Juventus (Winger)
Gennaro Delvecchio, Sampdoria (Midfielder)
Raul Tamudo, Espanyol (Striker)
Robert Huth, Middlesbrough (Defender)
Fabien Delph, Leeds (Midfielder)
Mario Mandzukic, Dinamo Zagreb (Striker)
Matthew Bates, Middlesbrough (Defender)
Sylvain Distin, Portsmouth (Defender)
Hugo Rodallega, Wigan (Striker)
Frazier Campbell, Manchester United (Striker)
Lomana Lua Lua, Al-Arabi (Striker)
Kevin Nolan, Newcastle (Midfielder)
Players linked with moves away from the club:
Marton Fulop (Panathinaikos)
Russell Anderson (Burnley)
Kieran Richardson (Tottenham)
Daryl Murphy (Ipswich)
Anthony Stokes (Ipswich, Hibs)
Dean Whitehead (Hull, Wolves)
Jordan Henderson - Loan (Coventry)
Martyn Waghorn - Loan (Hartlepool)
Jack Colback - Loan (Hartlepool)
Nathan Luscombe - Loan (Hartlepool)
Roy O`Donovan (Hartlepool)
Carlos Edwards (Ipswich)
Paul McShane (Ipswich, Hull)
David Healy (Ipswich)
Craig Gordon (Linked with a move away, but no club mentioned)
Anton Ferdinand (Fulham)
Steed Malbranque (Linked with a move away, but no club mentioned)
Date:Monday June 22 2009
Borini Sets Sights On A Wembley Return (Monday March 3 2014)
League Survival Is Definitely Possible. (Monday March 3 2014)
Poyet So Proud Of His Players (Monday March 3 2014)
Stats: Man City v Sunderland (Sunday March 2 2014)
City To Make Late Decision On Aguero. (Friday February 28 2014)
First Team Football Lured Wickham To Leeds. (Friday February 28 2014)
Giaccherini Hoping For Wembley Action (Friday February 28 2014)
Johnson Snubbed By Roy Hodgson (Thursday February 27 2014)
Three Games Moved For TV Cameras (Thursday February 27 2014)
New Date Set For Liverpool Trip (Tuesday February 25 2014)
|16. Crystal Palace||27||8||3||16||-18||27|
|Pochettino Expecting Different Palace Test
» Southampton : 07/03/2014 18:04:00
|Thomas Ducks Away From The Dive
» Crystal Palace : 07/03/2014 17:46:00
|Pulis Remains Confident Ahead Of Southampton
» Crystal Palace : 07/03/2014 17:42:00
|Club Confirm McNaughton Deal
» Cardiff : 07/03/2014 17:22:00
|We Need To Beat Fulham
» Cardiff : 07/03/2014 17:17:00
|A Friday Villa Round Up
» Aston Villa : 07/03/2014 17:04:00
|Vital Preview: Cardiff v Fulham
» Cardiff : 07/03/2014 16:42:00