Writer: Jimmy Coverdale
Date:Monday June 22 2009
Steve Bruce is hoping that his first signings as Sunderland boss are not too far away.
Speaking to the club`s official website, Bruce stated: 'I would hope to have some new faces in by the time of the opening friendly [against Darlington on July 16th], or at least by the time we go to the Amsterdam Tournament.
'I'm on the phone all of the time and am in constant touch with chairman Niall Quinn and chief executive Steve Walton.
'Hopefully we will have some new faces around at the start, and that would be terrific.'
On that note, it`s time to have a look at the transfer rumours from the past couple of days.
• Earlier today, we reported that England under-21 international Frazier Campbell has been linked with a move to the club. Hull City are also hoping to sign the Manchester United striker.
• Earlier this summer Steve Bruce spoke about having the opportunity to shop in Harrods instead of Tesco. Well, the News of the World reported yesterday that Bruce has been looking in Netto. Former Newcastle striker Lomana Lua Lua could be set for a move to the Stadium of Light after spending the last year playing for Qatar side Al-Arabi.
• Peter Crouch has again been linked with a move to the club. However, with Kenwyne Jones already in the fold, a move for Frazier Campbell seems more likely.
• Anton Ferdinand has dismissed rumours of a return to London with Fulham. Rio`s little brother told reporters: "I'm not sure about interest from other clubs, but that is the last thing on my mind,
"I signed for Sunderland on a four-year deal and it wouldn't be fair to stay one year and then leave.
"I'm enjoying it up there - I look forward to working with Steve Bruce and the players I had round me last year.
"We had a good team spirit last year. It will be sad to see people leave if that happens, but if the manager brings in better players then I am not going to complain.
"Football is about bettering yourself and playing with the best players."
• Mick McCarthy has been linked with another one of his former players. McCarthy has taken a number of ex-Sunderland players to Wolves and he looks set to continue this trend by signing Dean Whitehead. McCarthy will have to pay up to £3m to take the Black Cats skipper to the midlands.
• Sunderland have again been linked with a move for Newcastle midfielder Alan Smith, as well as teammate Kevin Nolan. Both players have been linked with a number of clubs this summer since the Toon`s relegation.
Here at Vital Sunderland, we will be keep a track of all the players linked with moves to and from Sunderland throughout the summer.
Players linked with moves to the club:
Lucas Biglia, Anderlecht (Midfielder)
James McCarthy, Hamilton (Midfielder)
Nedad Milijas, Red Star Belgrade (Midfielder)
Jermaine Beckford, Leeds (Striker)
Siaka Tiene, Valenciennes (Midfielder)
Peter Crouch, Portsmouth (Striker)
Darren Bent, Tottenham (Striker)
Lee Cattermole, Wigan (Midfielder)
Titus Bramble, Wigan (Defender)
Nikola Zigic, Valencia (Striker)
Lucas Neill, West Ham (Defender)
Sebastein Bassong, Newcastle (Defender)
Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Rosenborg (Midfielder)
Steven Davis, Rangers (Midfielder)
Radoslav Kovac, Spartak Moscow (Midfielder)
Antonio Valencia, Wigan (Winger)
Chris Kirkland, Wigan (Goalkeeper)
Alan Smith, Newcastle (Midfielder)
Stewart Downing, Middlesbrough (Winger)
Robbie Keane, Tottenham (Striker)
Richard Dunne, Manchester City (Defender)
Callum Davenport, West Ham (Defender)
Marco Marchionni, Juventus (Winger)
Gennaro Delvecchio, Sampdoria (Midfielder)
Raul Tamudo, Espanyol (Striker)
Robert Huth, Middlesbrough (Defender)
Fabien Delph, Leeds (Midfielder)
Mario Mandzukic, Dinamo Zagreb (Striker)
Matthew Bates, Middlesbrough (Defender)
Sylvain Distin, Portsmouth (Defender)
Hugo Rodallega, Wigan (Striker)
Frazier Campbell, Manchester United (Striker)
Lomana Lua Lua, Al-Arabi (Striker)
Kevin Nolan, Newcastle (Midfielder)
Players linked with moves away from the club:
Marton Fulop (Panathinaikos)
Russell Anderson (Burnley)
Kieran Richardson (Tottenham)
Daryl Murphy (Ipswich)
Anthony Stokes (Ipswich, Hibs)
Dean Whitehead (Hull, Wolves)
Jordan Henderson - Loan (Coventry)
Martyn Waghorn - Loan (Hartlepool)
Jack Colback - Loan (Hartlepool)
Nathan Luscombe - Loan (Hartlepool)
Roy O`Donovan (Hartlepool)
Carlos Edwards (Ipswich)
Paul McShane (Ipswich, Hull)
David Healy (Ipswich)
Craig Gordon (Linked with a move away, but no club mentioned)
Anton Ferdinand (Fulham)
Steed Malbranque (Linked with a move away, but no club mentioned)
Date:Monday June 22 2009
The Sunderland Injury Table Situation (Friday March 27 2015)
Merson Gives Black Cats No Chance. (Thursday March 26 2015)
Young Keeper Goes To Gateshead. (Tuesday March 24 2015)
Advocaat Takes Positives From West Ham Clash. (Tuesday March 24 2015)
Stats: West Ham v Black Cats (Saturday March 21 2015)
Team Sheet: West Ham v Sunderland (Saturday March 21 2015)
Johnson Has Chance Of Playing Against Hammers (Friday March 20 2015)
Poll Result: MOTM v Aston Villa (Friday March 20 2015)
Advocaat Has His First Say On Things (Friday March 20 2015)
Sunderland Target Liverpool Youngster? (Friday March 20 2015)
|15. Hull City||30||6||10||14||-12||28|
|16. Aston Villa||30||7||7||16||-20||28|
|20. Leicester City||29||4||7||18||-21||19|
|Foster - Injury Was Stupid
» WBA : 28/03/2015 21:06:00
|Southampton Tickets Priced Too High?
» Southampton : 28/03/2015 20:43:00
|Bertrand Gets England Call Up
» Southampton : 28/03/2015 20:37:00
|Aarons Prepares For Latest Chapter
» Newcastle : 28/03/2015 19:10:01
|More NUFC Manager Hot Air
» Newcastle : 28/03/2015 18:57:00