Writer: Jimmy Coverdale
Date:Monday July 20 2009
Steve Bruce remains hopeful of signing Peter Crouch, but has also admitted his interest Marouane Chamakh.
Sunderland face competition from London clubs Fulham and Tottenham for the signature of the England international, who will both allow him to remain down south, but Bruce believes that Sunderland have done their best to sign the striker.
Bruce said: "We're happy to have agreed a fee with Portsmouth and happy that Peter came up to talk to us about the move.
"We've given it our best shot in terms of trying to convince him that Sunderland and the North East is the right place for him, the right club for him at the right time.
"And in that sense, we're content that we've done our jobs. Now all we can do is just leave it with him and let him decide.
"I'm convinced that moving to Sunderland would be a great move for him and he would be a great signing for us and I remain hopeful because I'm excited about what we could do with him.
"We won't push him for a decision because it's up to him to make his mind up when he's thought things over.
"But I would expect that we'll probably have some information on how things stand very soon. Something could easily happen in the next 24 hours."
Many news outlets have reported that Crouch had asked for £70,000-a-week to move to the north east, but today`s Daily Mirror states that the striker has asked for closer to £90,000-a-week.
The apparent back up if Sunderland do fail with their move for Crouch is Bordeaux`s Moroccan international striker Marouane Chamakh. Steve Bruce has confirmed his interest stating: 'We have had an interest in the player but, like several players we just have to wait and see what happens.'
The 25-year-old has been linked with a move all summer, despite Bordeaux chairman Jean-Louis Triaud being less than complimentary about Sunderland. Chamakh himself realises that the Premier League is the superior league and would welcome a move.
Speaking to French newspaper L'Equipe, Chamakh said: "With my agent, we have agreed terms with several English clubs that are keen to sign me,
"They are just waiting for my decision,
"They are notably Sunderland, Blackburn, Tottenham and Fulham. Arsenal? I don't really believe in it anymore. My officials have not received any offer so far.
"I want a new challenge, I have a weakness for the English league. My dearest wish is to leave Bordeaux. I have repeated it for several months and I hope my officials will listen to my wish."
Date:Monday July 20 2009
Poyet Will Stay If He Can (Wednesday April 16 2014)
Keeper Must Wait For Contract Talks. (Tuesday April 15 2014)
Bardsley Misses Crucial Away Games (Tuesday April 15 2014)
Team Fully Back The Manager says Cattermole (Monday April 14 2014)
'We Need Luck' says Wickham (Monday April 14 2014)
Own Goal Hands Everton The Points (Sunday April 13 2014)
Team News From The Stadium of Light (Saturday April 12 2014)
Trip To Chelsea Rescheduled. (Friday April 11 2014)
Could Be The End For Sunderland Duo. (Friday April 11 2014)
Poyet Missing Fletcher. (Friday April 11 2014)
|14. Aston Villa||33||9||7||17||-14||34|
|Poyet Will Stay If He Can
» Sunderland : 16/04/2014 15:43:00
|The Citizens versus The Black Cats
» Man City : 16/04/2014 15:30:00
|Not the Best of Times?
» West Ham : 16/04/2014 13:03:00
» West Ham : 16/04/2014 13:02:00
|Petrescu in Premier League Return?
» Chelsea : 16/04/2014 12:57:00
|Could Luke Shaw be off to United?
» Chelsea : 16/04/2014 12:56:00
|Could Man City lose Champions League spot?
» Everton : 16/04/2014 11:00:00