Maynor Is Staying With Wigan!
Sunderland target Maynor Figueroa has signed a new two-year extension ending speculation that he will leave Wigan.
The Honduras international had been heavily linked with the Black Cats during both the summer and January transfer window.
Latic`s boss Roberto Martinez is more than delighted that he has tied one of his now key players down till 2012.
Speaking on the Wigan Athletic official website he said: "Maynor is a top professional, undoubtedly one of the best I have worked with in my time in the game and I am very happy that we have been able to reward him in this manner and put an end to all the silliness surrounding him in recent weeks.
'I have talked to Maynor at length, as a fellow Spanish speaker it helps that we can communicate very clearly with one another. He has never spoken to me about wanting to leave the club. He is settled here and now just wants to focus on doing well for us.
'I said all along that if we decide to sell any of our most consistent performers, it will be only when the time is right for Wigan Athletic, with that money reinvested in order to move the club to the next level.'
Steve Bruce will now turn his attention elsewhere to add to his injury plagued frail squad.
With Guy Demel and Habib Beye ruling themselves out for moves to Wearside Bruce looks to be under pressure to gain defensive cover by Mondays Deadline Day.
Sunderland may be handed some good news as Michael Turner and Phil Bardsley could be in contention for Monday`s crucial home fixture against Stoke.
Bruce said: "Michael has made progress and will hopefully train over the weekend, as will Phil Bardsley, however Anton is still missing and I can`t see Kieron Richardson making it either."