Vital Sunderland Interviews Tony Jeffries
Tony Jeffries is a hard hitter who comes from Farringdon, Sunderland, and his reputation in the boxing circuit is always growing.
As Tony prepares for his next televised fight at Rainton Meadows on 23rd July, he takes his time out from his busy schedule to speak to editor Gary Johnson about his career and love for Sunderland AFC.
1) Well done on your latest victory in Peterlee against Matt Hainey in the second round, how did you feel you performed?
I performed good, still made a few mistakes, but I will learn from them and he was a good opponent who believed he was going to beat me.
2) Are you happy with the way things have gone in your career and getting a lot of coverage through SKY?
My career couldn't have gone any better up to now and it is great having coverage through SKY it helps keep the City on the map and give a lot of other local fighters the chance to get promoted on these big televised shows.
3) Do you feel as though you represent the City of Sunderland with your passion for the area and also the football club? Are you aiming to be a role model for young regional boxers with the gift to box?
Yes I feel I represent the City very well and I think I have been and will be a good role model for a lot of young people in our City.
4) How are your preparations going for your next fight at Rainton Meadow on Friday 23rd July live on SKY? Where will the weigh in take place so the fans can come visit and support you? Do you feel these events are building your reputation around the circuit and making more opponents fearful of your ability in the ring?
Preparation is going well, the weigh-in hasn't been announced yet but it will be on my facebook and twitter once it is.
5) What is your earliest memory of supporting SAFC?
When I went to Roker Park with my Dad when I was about 5 and we seen the TV cameras before we went into the ground and I was excited to get home to see if it was on the telly!
6) Do you make it to many / any away days with your friends or family? Any funny stories of any particular away game that sticks out in your memory?
I went to a few away games last year, I was invited by SKY Sports to go in the box at Chelsea`s ground when Sunderland got hammered 7-2 and I went to Bolton and I got asked for my picture with a lad wearing a makini. He was a Sunderland fan and he was standing there throughout the full game with goose pimples all over him, that made me think how passionate (or mad) Sunderland supporters are haha!
7) Are you excited to see our bitter rivals Newcastle back in the top flight? What does the derby day mean to you?
I cant wait! I went to the last derby at St. James Park and the atmosphere was better than any other football match I have ever been to.
8) Where do you think we will finish this season under Steve Bruce?
I would be happy if we finish in the top half of the table.
9) Finally, prediction for the opening game against Birmingham at home in August?
1-0 to us :)
We thank Tony for taking time to answer these questions and we wish him every success in the future not only as an upcoming boxer but also as a die-hard Sunderland fan.
All the best for the future Tony!
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.