Writer: Gary Johnson
Date:Tuesday July 27 2010
1) Hello Simon! Welcome to Vital Sunderland how are things going for you at the moment with your career?
2) Many Sunderland fan would have loved to have had your job in the past, commentating for their supported team Sunderland AFC, what did you enjoy the most about that job?
Knowing I was getting paid to do a job i'd have paid to do.
3) What was your favourite game or moment as a commentator for Metro or Century FM?
Every match sitting next to Lord Rowell was a genuine pleasure... with many highs. I think the match you're going to ask me about in the next question was a bit of a career changer for me so i'd have to say that one sticks out above the others.
4) You will always be a favourite with the Mackems after your brilliant radio outburst when Sunderland beat their rivals Newcastle and you copied the famous 'Can you hear me Tony Blair' comment - what made you think of that and do it on air?
It's a long story.... buy me a pint and I might tell you...
5) Do you have any regrets over anything that you said or wrote as a Sunderland supporter? For example, the programme entry before another Tyne-Wear derby did not go down well on the other side, did you fear it could provoke that reaction?
You can't go through lives having any regrets. You just have to learn from them.
6) What is the best / worst stadiums you have ever visited? Apart from Sunderland's Stadium of Light?
Night matches at Anfield always feel special. Games at Selhurst Park certainly don't.
7) Do you still make most games at the Stadium or away from home?
I get to as many games as I can.
8) What are your thoughts and hopes for this season under Steve Bruce?
This is his big season for me. He's had a little bit of time now to make changes and try to get rid of players he doesn't fancy - so now's the time to judge him. He's certainly made some brave buys - i'm hoping we can pushing for a European place this season.
9) Where can you see us in 5 years time?
I'd hope we'd be a regularly qualifier for Europe.
Phillips or Bent? At the moment... Phillips... ask me again in three years though.
Reid or Bruce? Reid
Radio or TV appearances? Radio
Thanks for taking your time to do this, it is greatly appreciated in order to help my new site take off that little bit quicker.
No problem Gary, good luck with the site!
Date:Tuesday July 27 2010
Germans Looking At Jozy (Monday December 15 2014)
Poyet Defends His Players After West Ham Clash (Monday December 15 2014)
Its a Dive, says Allardyce. (Monday December 15 2014)
Stats: Sunderland v West Ham United (Saturday December 13 2014)
Sunderland vs West Ham Utd: Team News (Saturday December 13 2014)
FA Cup Details Released (Friday December 12 2014)
Sunderland In Race To Sign Albentosa? (Friday December 12 2014)
Fletcher May Return, Big Sam Knee Deep In Strikers (Friday December 12 2014)
Poyet Sings The Praises of Wickham (Friday December 12 2014)
Looking Back: Sunderland 3-0 West Ham (Thursday December 11 2014)
|13. Aston Villa||16||5||4||7||-10||19|
|16. Crystal Palace||16||3||6||7||-5||15|
|Pardew - We Can't Let The Fans Down Again
» Newcastle : 18/12/2014 11:13:00
|Alnwick Picks Up Shoulder Injury?
» Newcastle : 18/12/2014 11:02:00
|Focus is still on top four for Everton
» Everton : 18/12/2014 11:00:00
|Haidara - Second Tottenham Goal Was Crucial
» Newcastle : 18/12/2014 10:48:00
|Sagna Will Fill In If Needed
» Man City : 18/12/2014 10:38:00